Innovation & Advancements
Board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Thomas Fiala, has been an early adopter of many advancements in operative techniques and patient care systems, designed to reduce complications, improve safety, and help patients have an optimal surgery and recovery. Here are just a few of them:
- Use of high-resolution ultrasound for breast implant follow-up screening in the office
- Use of comprehensive surgical checklists for all patients. Proven by NASA and pilots everywhere.
- Multi-modality anesthesia techniques: by using pre- and post-op medications proven to reduce post-op pain and nausea, without having to rely only on narcotics.
- Long-acting nerve blocks: ultrasound guided nerve blocks for the abdomen and chest areas, to significantly reduce post-op pain. Dr. Fiala is a pioneer in the area of TAP blocks with Exparel for tummy tuck and abdominal liposuction.
- Pre-operative nutritional support: reduces wound healing problems, especially for gastric bypass patients.
- Caprini scale screening of all patients: to identify and treat those at high risk for DVT.
- Use of advanced anti-nausea medications (Aprepitant, Zofran) for those patients with a past history of postoperative nausea or motion sickness.
- Use of TXA to reduce bleeding during major surgeries. Optional use of TXA for patients with a history of “easy bruising”.
- Use of a MRSA-decolonization protocol for patients at risk.
- Use of intra-operative warming blanket for all patients to prevent hypothermia.
- Use of sequential compression devices for all patients to reduce DVT risk.
- Keller funnel for all breast implant placements.
- Avoidance of routine benzodiazepine use.
- …and more.
Comparing your options? Check and see how many of these safety and quality items are routinely performed at other facilities!