BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® work to block the nerve signals that cause muscle contraction – resulting in a relaxation of wrinkles. Known as “neuromodulators,” these injectable treatments allow overlying skin to return to a relaxed and more youthful appearance, until they wear off. Once BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport wear off, signals resume and the nerve returns to normal activity.
A single treatment of BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport can produce results for periods of three months or longer, though maintenance is recommended for continuous results. These treatments can also be used as one-time services before special events such as a wedding or important presentations. A one-on-one consultation with our injection expert, Physician Assistant Phi Nguyen, at Fiala Aesthetics can answer your questions about the treatment.
To schedule your BOTOX® Cosmetic consultation at our Altamonte Springs office, please call 407-339-3222 today. Fiala Aesthetic welcomes patients from Orlando and all surrounding areas of Florida.
“My experience at Dr. Fiala’s office has been Exceptional!!!!! Front desk staff Melinda and Sandra are friendly and knowledgeable. Finance with Denise was a breeze. I would like to thank Sandy, Brittany, Robbye and Kim W. My nurses during my pre op during surgery and post op visits. You all made me feel So comfortable and at ease during this whole experience! Thank you Phi for the natural look with all the fillers and Botox.” Read more of Dr. Fiala’s Testimonials here »
After several months, the nerve terminals recover, begin releasing acetylcholine again and muscle function completely recovers. Think of it like unplugging your home telephone temporarily – the phone no longer rings because it doesn’t receive a signal.
- Forehead wrinkles and creases
- Frown lines ( wrinkles between the eyebrows)
- Crow’s feet (wrinkles around the eyes)
- Marionette lines (wrinkles around the mouth)
- and there are additional “off-label” uses, as well.
During your initial consultation at our Orlando area office, we will assess your problem areas to help you decide which would benefit most from this treatment.
- Both of these products are made of a sterile purified protein obtained from the same bacteria.
- Both are injected with a fine needle into muscles under the skin.
- Both relax the muscles by stopping the signals from the nerve to the muscle.
- Both have a temporary effect, lasting about three months.
- Both show noticeable effects three to five days after injection.
- Both have been used in Europe for medical purposes since 1992 and for cosmetic purposes for more than a decade.
- Both are FDA approved for medical and cosmetic use.
- Dysport® cosmetic is exactly the same product as Dysport® medical, only they are labeled differently.
- BOTOX Cosmetic® is exactly the same product as BOTOX® medical, only they are labeled differently.
Differences between Dysport® and BOTOX Cosmetic® include:
- Dysport® uses smaller molecules than BOTOX Cosmetic®.
- Dysport® diffuses and spreads a little more than BOTOX Cosmetic®.
- Dysport® and BOTOX Cosmetic® are measured differently.
- The price per unit of Dysport® is one third that of a unit of BOTOX Cosmetic®. However, in order to obtain the same results as one unit of BOTOX Cosmetic®, two and a half to three units of Dysport® must be used.
- Dysport® claims that its effects are noticeable one to two days earlier than that of BOTOX Cosmetic®.
- Dysport® claims that its effects last slightly longer.
As with any product, Dr. Fiala knows that you desire an affordable and effective product that poses minimal to no risks. The risks and effects of both products are similar and in a professional and medical setting such as Fiala Aesthetics Medical Spa, both BOTOX Cosmetic® and Dysport® are injected with your comfort and safety in mind.
The beauty of a BOTOX Cosmetic®/Dysport® treatment is that it is a simple, 10-minute, non-surgical process, the are only minimal risks, and there is little to no recovery time. Although the results are visible, a treatment with BOTOX Cosmetic®/Dysport® will not radically change your facial appearance. The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is simply reduced, so you can still frown, squint, purse or look surprised, but without the wrinkles and creases. If you do not continue treatments, the lines will gradually look like they did before treatment.
The treatment takes 10-15 minutes and a majority of patients are able to leave our office and resume all normal activities right away. Some redness in the injection area may be present for a few days. We will provide aftercare instructions that can help speed this process.
There have been numerous studies and trials that have demonstrated Dysport’s® effectiveness and safety. In one study published in the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 87% of participants who were given Dysport® reported a reduction in wrinkles. The same study found that Dysport® took effect in as little as 24 hours with the average time needed for visible results to be approximately four days. More than two million treatments of Dysport® have been administered worldwide, representing more than 840,000 patient-years of treatment.
These treatments are not recommended for women who are pregnant or nursing or for people with allergies to any of the ingredients. Patients with neurological disorders including ALS, Lambert-Eaton syndrome, and Myasthenia Gravis may not be good candidates for these treatments.
At Fiala Aesthetics, your safety is one of our central concerns. We will discuss all possible complications and review your medical history to help make sure you are a good candidate for this treatment. If you are not, other med spa options may be available to help you reach your goals.
Please refrain from using aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve, and alcohol before and after your treatment. After your BOTOX® Cosmetic/Dysport® treatment, you can return to your normal routine immediately but you will be advised to avoid alcohol and sun exposure for the first 24 hours. The results begin to take effect four to ten days after your visit and last from four to six months.
Other side effects may include numbness or a feeling of burning around the injection site. Simply placing ice before and after your procedure in the treated area can alleviate most of these issues and any complications are normally temporary and usually disappear in a short period of time. You will receive more information and a complete copy of safety information during your initial consultation.
You should not receive BOTOX® Cosmetic/Dysport® if you are allergic to cow’s milk protein, if you have ever had an allergic reaction to another botulinum toxin product, or if you have an infection at the site of the desired treatment. Patients with certain neuromuscular disorders such as ALS, myasthenia gravis, or Lambert-Eaton syndrome should not receive BOTOX® Cosmetic/Dysport®. This should be discussed with Dr. Fiala during your consultation. Not everyone is a candidate for this treatment.