Oculoplastic surgery is a specialized procedure that combines the benefits of eyelid lift and cosmetic surgery. In addition to eyelid surgery, oculoplastic surgery may represent eye related procedures that involve the orbit, tear ducts and the upper face. In some cases, oculoplastic surgery may be both medically necessary as well as cosmetically desirable.
Some types of periocular and eyelid problems can affect an individual’s facial appearance as well as their overall eye health, vision, and eye comfort.
These issues can be successfully treated with oculoplastic surgery. Our top rated and board certified plastic surgeon, Dr Fiala, provides oculoplastic surgery to patients in Orlando, Altamonte Springs, FL, and surrounding communities.
Common Oculoplastic Procedures
Patients can significant improve their quality of life with one of the following four commonly performed aesthetic and oculoplastic procedures:
- Entropian repair: This involves correction of the eyelids that are folding inward
- Ectropian repair: This involves correction of the eyelids that are turning outward
- Ptosis repair: This procedure will correct drooping upper or lower eyelids
- External DCR: This procedure is designed to restore the natural flow of tears
In most cases, an oculoplastic surgery can be performed as an outpatient procedure, and the recovery is fairly quick. Blepharoplasty, which involves repair of upper or lower droopy eyelids through removal of excess skin, fat and muscle, is one of the top five cosmetic surgery procedures in the US today.
Types of Oculoplastic Surgery
Some of the key procedures that are considered as a part of oculoplastic surgery include:
- Eyelid Surgery: This includes blepharoplasty and reconstructive eyelid surgery to correct entropion, ectropian, ptosis and eyelid tumors.
- Tear Duct Surgery: This will correct the flow of tears
- Orbital Surgery: This procedure is aimed at managing thyroid and eye disorders, trauma and tumors
- Pediatric Oculoplastic Surgery: Congenital defects and eye disorders in children can be corrected with this procedure.
- Brow lift and forehead lift: These upper face cosmetic procedures may be performed along with oculoplastic surgery to create more harmonious results.
Eyelid Surgery Procedure
Blepharoplasty or eyelid lift surgery is the most commonly type of oculoplastic procedure. An experienced surgeon will create small incisions following the natural lines of the eyelids in order to hide subsequent scarring. The surgeon will place the incision and then separate the skin from the underlying tissue. Excess skin, fat and muscle will be removed through the incision.
The incisions will then be closed with fine sutures in the upper eyelids. Most patients will not require sutures in the lower eyelids, but this will depend on the surgical technique used to perform the procedure. The surgery may be performed on either lower or upper eyelids or both. It may take about two hours to perform the procedure if both lower and upper lids are involved.
Post-operative care will depend on the type of oculoplastic surgery received. Fiala Aesthetics receives patients from Orlando, Altamonte Springs, FL, and nearby areas in this part of Northern Florida for oculoplastic surgery.
For more information of the treatments and procedures offered at this Plastic Surgery Center & Orlando Medical Spa by Dr. Thomas Fiala please contact us at (407) 339-3222 or visit www.plasticsurgeryinflorida.com ; day-spa-orlando.com ; coolsculptinginorlando.com